Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Virtual 5K

Ever hear of a 'Virtual 5K'?  Neither had I until my friends (you know, the same crazy ones who discovered the run 2,017 miles in 2017) asked if I wanted to participate in one.  Once explained, its actually really simple and fun and a great way to get a group of people together to get healthy!  Here's what you do:
 
Visit the website www.virtualstrides.com.  There are 100's of various virtual races to choose from with each one having a unique theme and benefiting a different cause.  For example: The Virtual 5K I'm participating in is
 
"One Tough Mother Runner"
 
This Virtual 5K is in honor of all us hard working mothers out there and supports the Family Lives On Foundation.  This foundation is dedicated to helping children with the loss of their parent(s). 
 
Once you decide on a virtual race theme and goal of 5K, 10K or half marathon, get yourself and your friends registered.  Then YOU pick a date to physically complete your race.  Once finished hop back online, enter your time, and your medal will be sent to you for your achievement.  Simple, right?
 
Although I haven't done my race yet, my medal was somehow shipped to me already.  That's okay.  Its pretty darn cool to look at and motivating to have.
 
 
In case you were wondering if you saw that correctly, here's a closer look.
 

 
Yep, that medal is also a wine bottle stopper!
 
The medal now hangs in front of my treadmill as a gentle reminder to keep at it.  I'm stronger than I believe.


 
 Actually, it hangs right next to the other medal that reminds me I'm most definitely stronger than I believe. 
 

 
My Virtual 5K race date has been set - April 22nd.
All that's left to do is train.




No comments:

Post a Comment